Creating a Connected Textile Community – JOIN US
WARP’s 2018 Annual Meeting brings members together for education, fellowship, food, an international marketplace, networking, and our 25th Birthday Celebration! This year’s meeting will be held June 7th – 10th in Decorah, Iowa and features talks each morning, tours each afternoon and evening programs. The Member Registration fee is $225, and rooms at Luther College, the site of our conference, cost $40-50/night. There is also a single-day rate of $95, in case you can't be with us the whole day. Hurry, though - registration ends May 18! Decorah is located in northeast Iowa; the closest large airport is in LaCrosse, WI. Click here to register now!
Sustaining Culture: Environment, Economy, Community
Thursday evening June 7th: We open with a Welcome Circle at 7 pm. (Be sure to get dinner beforehand!)
Presentations and Discussions on Friday and Saturday Mornings:
- Laurann Gilbertson is Textile curator at Vesterheim, the Norwegian-American Museum in Decorah.
Mary Anne Wise is co-founder of Cultural Cloth, a social enterprise supporting textile practitioners from around the world.
- Diane Nesselhuf is founder of Friends of Sharing the Dream in Guatemala which promotes fair trade.
- Elisha Renne is co-founder of the non-profit women’s embroidery group, Queen Amina Embroidery.
- Mary Hark is Associate Professor of Design Studies at University of Wisconsin- Madison and founder of the Ghana Paper Project, using invasive plant materials to create paper products and sustainable employment to the community of Kumasi.
- Aaron Burmeister is a staff member at Seed Savers International, and a weaver.
- WARP members Dorinda Dutcher and Teena Jennings will share tales from the recent Tinkuy in Peru.
Afternoon Tours: We’ll visit Seed Savers on Friday, and receive a behind the scenes tour and reception at Vesterheim on Saturday.
- Friday Evening Program: Following a Book Signing Reception hosted by Thrums Books, and after dinner, WARP Members will give short presentations about recent projects.
- Saturday evening: WARP will Celebrate our 25th Anniversary after a brief live auction of some very special textiles. There will be cake, toasts, and stories!
Our International Marketplace is open on Friday and Saturday, as is the Silent Auction. Don’t forget your lovely donatable items!
The Annual Business meeting is on Sunday morning, June 10th with a breakfast / brunch buffet.
There’s more information and links in the downloadable 2018 Annual Meeting Program, and more information will be posted soon!